Thursday 12 June 2014

Blood Story - #bloodnotmoney


My family

Me - a donor who owes both my own life and the lives of my wife and daughter to donated blood.

I am currently running a #bloodnotmoney campaign to recruit new donors.

Last year covered 50+k running, over  175 miles cycling and took on fire, electrocution, ice, water and mud.

But instead of asking for sponsorship in money, I asked supporters to sign up as blood donors. Last year I took on these challenges ; three half marathons including the Great North Run; Five 10k's a 5k; Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge;Total  Warrior Leeds and the BucketSpadeRide...

This year I continue in the same vain by running seven 10k's inc. Great Manchester 10k (dressed as Billy Blood Drop!), City of Salford and Manchester 10k's. In Septemeber I return to the NorthEast for the Great North Run and in the same month take on Born Survivor!! I will update the blog in due course but please read about last year's challenges.


I have a particularly close connection with the life-saving role of blood. Not only did I need a transfusion as a child after an operation, but my wife Kerry has been saved by blood twice following complications during childbirth.

Life-threatening condition

Our first child, Matthew, was born in 2002 following a problem-free pregnancy. However, when Kerry became pregnant again in 2007, she suffered bleeding at 18 weeks and was told she had the condition placenta praevia, or low-lying placenta.

This rare complication means the placenta can obstruct a baby's way out at the neck of the womb and lead to heavy bleeding, putting both the mother and child in danger. Kerry was hospitalised for the six weeks and went into labour at 24 weeks. She was in labour for 25 hours and needed 13 units of blood to save her life. Sadly our baby son Christian did not survive the birth.

"Kerry was very ill and we both suffered the loss a great deal, and to be honest we still do. Christian is always loved and never forgotten. It has taken some time to cope with the loss.”

In 2009, we were delighted when Kerry became pregnant again but soon discovered she had a recurrence of placenta praevia. At 33 weeks, Kerry started suffering from bleeds again, we feared that we would lose another child.

However, thanks to expert care at Saint Mary's Hospital in Manchester, a caesarean birth and a further six units of blood, Our daughter Amy Hannah Louise arrived healthy and well –to our absolute delight.




“We have much to be grateful for in the work of Saint Mary's Hospital and those brilliant blood donors, the unsung heroes who put themselves out every three or four months to donate a precious part of themselves. Sometimes these donors do not know how their blood has changed or saved someone's life.”

I became a sporadic donor in 1994, but the ordeal in 2007 made me into a committed donor and I have now made 59 donations. I have served my time on the interval study which hopefully will decrease the interval between blood donations, but we will have to wait a while before this can be assessed formally. I started donating platelets something I have discussed with the Blood Service and they are happy with based on the demand at the time. However, recently I have returned to donating whole blood due to a lowering of my platelet count. Always good to know the blood service take care of the donor's health too.

I have also helped the Blood Service to raise awareness of the constant need for new donors, through activities like last years challenges and #bloodnotmoney campaigning. During training and through Slimming World I have lost over five stones in weight, helping me gain a new lease of life and the take on these personal challenges whilst continuing to drive for more new donors along the way. In 2014 I made it through to the semi finals of Slimming World's Man of the Year. I have been published in the Slimming World magazine and not one to pass up an opportunity to promote the blood service this obviously featured in the article - http://www.slimmingworld.com/success-stories/rick-mills.aspx

Some family, friends and colleagues  have signed up as new donors and others who had not given blood for a while started donating again.

“I am proud to help NHS Blood and Transplant raise awareness of blood donation. It's a special thing to do; it gives you a sense of pride in giving something selflessly to whoever may need it regardless of who they are. Plus you always get a cup of tea and a biscuit! Putting my efforts into gaining blood donors matters to me and fits with the way I wish to commemorate our Son's loss hopefully by bringing something life giving to others.


What the National Blood Service said about the campaign:-

Amanda Eccles, Senior Marketing Coordinator at NHS Blood and Transplant, said: "We would like to thank Rick for his continuous support of blood donation through his #bloodnotmoney campaign.

Rick has managed to recruit countless new blood donors which helps us to ensure that blood stocks remain healthy. We always need new donors and we hope Rick and his work inspires others to sign up and donate."

What is placenta praevia?

As a woman's pregnancy progresses, the womb expands and this affects the placenta's position. The area where the placenta is attached usually stretches up and away from the cervix.

However, if the placenta stays low in the womb, it may cover the cervix and obstruct the baby's way out.

This complication – known as placenta praevia or low-lying placenta – is a serious one. It can cause heavy bleeding and put mothers and their babies at risk. Women suffering from the condition may have to stay in hospital towards the end of their pregnancy and a caesarean section, along with blood transfusions, may be needed.


Placenta praevia is rare, affecting just six in 1,000 of all NHS hospital births in England during 2008-09. With an annual birth rate of around 600,000, this means potentially 4,800 women are affected every year.



So please support me throughout the year and sign up to give blood, and if you cannot then please nominate someone who would be willing.

Campaign challenges so far

Wilmslow Half Marathon

First ever half marathon. It was challenging to say the least but I managed it in 2:04:00. Room for improvement.



Great Manchester 10k

This was a tremendous day. The Manchester people cheered us all on. I exceeded my own expectations and produce a PB 50:43.


Abersoch 10k


This has to be one of the toughest 10k races I've ever run. Not all Tarmac, some stone track section uphill at that too!! Then the last 1k on the beach hurdling the groynes! Saying that, the views were spectacular and a great finish line reception by #teamMills Time 54:04


Bucket and Spade Ride 75 Miles



Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge 
This was my toughest challenge to date. 24.5miles, Three peaks all over 650m total ascent and descent around 1.5km all in 11hours 45mins!!

Total Warrior Leeds 12k
This was a tough course this year or was it the extra year on me? But whatever my team mate Matt helped me round. Not a bad time either 01:43 Still a great challenge to get in the mud for blood!
Manchester Color Run 5k "the happiest 5k".

A fantastic family day running the happiest 5k on the planet. Covered in colour, smiles and laughter. Topped off with some home procured medals for #teamMills
City of Manchester 10k
This turned out to be a great day and the weather was perhaps too kind. Got to be happy with a time of 52:27 .Got to share my story about my campaign for #bloodnotmoney with SportsToursInternational. I'll post it here as soon as I have the link.
Here's the winner (30mins!!!)

Windmill Half Marathon (Lytham)
A windy half marathon. No PB but a course record!! This was tough but my guardian angel pulled me round.

City of Salford 10k

Always a pleasure to run this one. Slightly different route but variety is the spice of life. Happy with a time of 54:09 for this one suffering with plantar fasciitis in my right foot and a week ahead of the Great North Run. I set off with my mate Scott but he met me at the end. 
Jenny Meadows joins team #bloodnotmoney
I paid her a visit at her home training track at Robin Park Wigan. When asked about the campaign, Jenny commented: “I am in awe of what Rick has achieved since his operation and the work he has undertaken promoting the #bloodnotmoney cause. I am delighted to help him with his pledge to raise much needed awareness of blood donation and remind the public that a simple act from one person can result in saving the life of another.”
One year anniversary of Arthroscopic Bi-Lateral Release of the Patella

Great North Run



The Great North Run 2015 - My first GNR and third half marathon of the year.I awoke with nervous excitement about what lay ahead of me, knowing I was carrying injury. This was not new though as I've struggled most of the year to shake off one problem before another issue arose.
Race day preparation - 
Toe nails clipped, feet prepped with Strategically placed blister plasters and an application of Bristol Butter. Nipple plasters applied. Trusty socks shorts and my #bloodnotmoney vest. Race number attached with my special edition GNR2015 EventNoClips. Breakfast of banana and cereal with a mug of tea. Ready to get into Newcastle.
Heading into Newcastle the concentration of runners gradually increased. Walking to the assembly points I met a really nice guy, Kevin, he was running for Delete Blood Cancer, he was from Tyneside. He was telling me he's lost his son to Leukaemia a few years back and that he'd run the GNR for many years in his memory. A touching tribute. Emotions ran high inside me as a message ce across the tannoy to take a moment to those we have lost and maybe running for. A lady's story can across about how she was running in memory of her boy who she never got to know after being stillborn. This resonated strongly with me. My boy, my Guardian angel was with me, I knew this. The hymn "Abide with me" brought tears to my eyes, of remembrance and pride of what I was there for.
The Elite took off and slowly the masses edged forward towards the start line. A quick high five to Lucy Bronze and ha'way I went. Under each tunnel "Oggy Oggy Oggy" rang out with a great response from all the runners. The roads were lined from start as far as the eye could see. People cheering, shouting keepgannin Rick and Ha-way Rick. Felt like a celeb as these strangers shouting out your name. Made you feel special and highly motivated. The kids along the way wanting high fives, which, of course I obliged. Along the way the long ascents were made easier by the crowds applauding and cheering all of us on our way.
The weather was gorgeous, but I was taking refuge in the shaded side of the course, as I tend to overheat at the best of times. Even Billy Blood Drop riding in mysweatband wasn't offering up any shelter! Water was a plenty along the course and a couple of Lucozade stations too. I took advantage of what I could. Perhaps too much as the trees needed watering along the way!! The crowds generosity continued as they handed out Ice Pops, cut oranges, water, jelly babies and at one point even beer! I started to fatigue at about 9 miles, the plantar fasciitis and hamstring started to play havoc with my mental concentration. Yet again though the support kicked me up the backside and motivated through the last 4.1 miles or so. As I approached 2 miles to go I saw Frank Bruno sat on the grass being attended to, hope he was ok. 2miles out this was it the finish so close now. A drop down to the final mile and there hundreds of people linin the course, just fantastic! 800m to go felt like I was walking on air. The Red Arrows started their display as I approach 400m which felt like they'd  waited for me! The finish line, the usual look up to heaven to thank my boy! Done it. What an amazing experience, definitely the best half marathon, but maybe not the easiest conditions for an injured runner like me. But I ran every step with pride for the reason I was running - #bloodnotmoney 
Run in the Dark 10k - Manchester
Salford Santa Run

On a very windy day! Team Mills with special guest "Billy Blood Drop" headed to Media City UK to run the Santa Run. This was the last organised run for #bloodnotmoney and it was a great turn out. Managed to promote the Blood Service with a piece to camera with Granada Reports. 

Thanks to Matthew my son who guided me safely around as BillyBloodDrop! 

A great family day, celebrating life thanks to blood donation.




In Memory of Christian Mills my Angel Boy xxxx

www.blood.co.uk

03001232323

@GiveBloodNHS

#bloodnotmoney @MancMills


No comments:

Post a Comment